CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 28, 2009

A quietly guided day

This morning we have shifted things around. I am letting the kids really take the lead and see waht happens. Simon woke up with a sore throat and so he spent some time in bed. Sidney got up a little earlier than needed, so my time was spread between him and making sure Lucy was prepared for school.

When Simon finally came to being, he decided to do Book Adventure first -- he is working hard at what he does best...read and reap the awards. After he quizzed himself on his book, he disappeared into the fort that has been constructed in our sunroom for over a week. While I worked with Lucy, I voiced out, "Simon, what are you doing?" A voice from inside the fort said, "I dont' have a school schedule, so i am reading my book." "Ah." I say in return. "I am soooo sorry you are without a school schedule. Perhaps you might want to ask me where one is, or look on the bar where it has been laying since last night."

Meanwhile, Lucy is plugging away - which is a tad uncommon, but perhaps she is truly understanding how the day works. After Lucy completes her Brain Breakfast, she says that she wants to begin her research project (she has chosen the Emperor Maximian). She logs into her email and gets her questions from all the family members participating and she and I work exclusively on how to begin researching. Again, I ask, "Simon, what are you doing now?" I get an, "ummmm??" from under the fort. I quickly look inside and there he is, pretending to be looking through his book box but the guilty piece of evidence sits close by..his book. I take the book away - give him my authoritative spiel and continue with Lucy.

So, if we can make it through the day - this is what it will look like
1. Brain Breakfast (check)
2. Awalla Words(check)
3. Goal for the Day (check)
4. Devotions
5. Read Aloud (check)
6. Civics (check)
7. Science - physics...FORCE/GRAVITY....EGG DROP (check)
8. Math (math u see) (check)
9. Daily math - for Simon = geomerty. For Lucy = number patterns (check)
10. Daybook (simon...check)
11. Writing - for Lucy = Writing Strands curriculum. For Simon - IEW Assignment (simon...check)
12. Spelling (check)
13. Lucy has AHG Badge work to continue
14. Video on Roman Times - a kids perspective (check)
15. Begin research on Roman person of choice. Lucy has begun hers. I do not hold promise for Simon getting to his today.

0 comments: